Key performance indicators
2020 has been a signature year with intensive and agile execution ending with a record high Gross Margin and Free Cash Flow while maintaining the same profit margin level as the previous non-crisis year. To be future ready, the Group accelerated its transformational acquisitions in both business portfolios and presence in India, with a step-change in sustainability, and focused investment in innovation, services, and cybersecurity. The-step change seen in customer adoption of digitization and sustainability accelerated and supported the software and services growth, despite lockdowns. The Group remains committed to its strategic priorities of more products, more software, more services, and more sustainability.
Free Cash Flow
159% conversion rate
Adjusted EBITA margin
Proposed Dividend per Share
Adjusted Net Income
Share Price (at December 31, 2020)
000134 million tons
CO2 Saved for Customers
* Definition of Green Revenues: offers that bring energy, climate, or resource efficiency to customers, while not generating any significant harmful impact on the environment, described in the Sustainable Development Report.
On the opening day of the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Schneider Electric was ranked in Corporate Knights’ Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations, and the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) “A-List”.
As part of EV100, Schneider Electric pledged to switch its 14,000-car fleet to electric by 2030. Electric vehicle charging infrastructure and EcoStruxure™ e-mobility solutions will also be installed in the Group’s flagship sites.
As part of a French industrial COVID-19 taskforce, Schneider Electric's supply chain experts took up the challenge to increase production of Air Liquide Medical System’s respirators and deliver 10,000 in 50 days.
Schneider Electric Foundation’s Tomorrow Rising Fund mobilized employees, customers, and partners and supported 74 local projects in 67 countries and touching the lives of 1.5 million people.
Schneider Electric ranked fourth in Gartner’s Supply Chain Top 25 recognizing the Group’s supply chain transformation and its business, financial and Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) performance.
Schneider Electric successfully completed the voluntary public takeover of RIB Software to expand its capabilities in building life cycle digitization.
Schneider Electric acquired ProLeiT, enhancing the Group offering in consumer-packaged goods.
The Schneider Electric India Private Ltd entity was born from Larsen & Toubro’s Electrical & Automation and Schneider’s Low Voltage & Industrial Automation businesses and confirmed its ambition as India’s innovation and manufacturing hub, serving new economies.
AVEVA announced a transformative deal to acquire OSIsoft, a global leader in real-time industrial operational data software and services, to combine and create a leading Industrial Internet of Things portfolio.
Schneider’s 60-year old factory in Lexington, Kentucky (USA) joined the World Economic Forum’s Advanced Lighthouse Network, as a showcase of digitally transformed manufacturing and production, saving energy, and water resources, cutting CO2 emissions and reducing unplanned machine downtime.
Schneider Electric published its biodiversity footprint report using the Global Biodiversity Score tool developed by CDC Biodiversité, and to identify ways to protect and restore biodiversity.
Schneider Electric’s ESG-focused Investor Day highlighted how the Group focuses on all its stakeholders and on circularity, biodiversity, governance, and social values for long-term value creation.
Schneider Electric launched the first sustainability-linked convertible bond, tying its performance in three sustainability KPIs to investor returns.
Schneider Electric announced strategic transactions to enhance Energy Management’s software portfolio, including minority investment in Planon for Integrated Workplace Management and a proposed investment in ETAP to design, model, simulate and optimize critical power systems with digital twins.
Schneider Electric was selected among 2020’s Top 25 Corporate Startup Stars, in recognition of the world’s most active corporates working with startups and developing best practices in corporate-startup collaboration.
Strategy: Executing on our growth commitments
Strategy: Executing on our growth commitments
Sustainability & Efficiency
Our purpose is to empower all to make the most of our energy and resources, bridging progress and sustainability for all. We want to be the digital partner of our customers for sustainability and efficiency.
We delivered efficiencies for our customers:
- During the COVID-19 crisis, Schneider Electric was recognized as mission-critical in over 90 countries, ensuring that hospitals, grids, water, food and beverage and cold chain installations and mission-critical infrastructure were running and able to adapt to the new reality.
- During lockdowns, we continued to service critical infrastructure thanks to field services teams and remote monitoring capabilities.
We innovated in sustainability with:
- Unique SM AirSeT switchgear to avoid using SF6, the greenhouse gas commonly found in electrical equipment.
- Launch of GreenStruxure with Huck Capital to deliver renewable Energy-as-a-Service contracts for buildings.
- Strategic venture with Verkor in France, to accelerate European battery cell production.
- Green Premium program and c.72% of our business labeled as Green Revenues.
- Continue to accompany our customers across the whole life cycle of their assets, portfolios, and installations.
- Focus on delivering our full value proposition to support the future of buildings, homes, data centers, industries, infrastructure, and grid.
- Scale up growth with sustainability and prosumer technologies.
We believe digital solutions create opportunities to connect the physical and digital world and combine energy management and automation. Our EcoStruxure™ platform and core innovations help change the way buildings, industries, and cities are designed, built, and operated.
We reinforced our software portfolio across the life cycle, with:
- Voluntary public takeover of RIB Software to expand capabilities in building life cycle digitization.
- Announced acquisition of OSIsoft by AVEVA, connecting customers’ real-time industrial data for efficiency.
- Minority investment in Planon for Integrated Workplace Management to transform buildings into safe, sustainable, and resilient assets.
- Proposed investment in ETAP to design, model, simulate and optimize critical power systems with digital twins.
We released new innovations at virtual Innovation Summit 2020 World Tour events, including:
- Low-voltage PrismaSeT Active switchboards, using cloud-connectivity to monitor hazardous power losses.
- Ergonomic and connectivity-ready ComPacT breakers and modular plug-and-play accessories.
- EcoStruxure™ Automation Expert to program and run open, virtualized, and interoperable applications for industrial efficiency and resiliency.
- New digital services and software, such as EcoStruxure™ Power Monitoring Expert and Power Scada Operations.
- Successfully integrate and grow with software and services.
- Drive synergies of recent software acquisitions.
- Bring further added value to our customers with digital services.
- Continue to make the most of our digital channels.
Diversity & Inclusion
Strive for diversity, equity, and inclusiveness, valuing difference and welcoming people from all walks of life. Facilitate agility and flexibility and offer equal opportunities to all, reinforced by our multi-hub approach, which makes us the most local of global companies.
- Employees celebrated International Women’s Day, Pride Month, International Men’s Day, Global Mental Health Day, and awareness campaigns for LGBT+ and People with Disabilities.
- 91% of white-collar employees discussed their development with their managers.
- In June, all employees were surveyed with specific questions related to COVID-19 and 68% of employees took part.
- Over 7,000 students joined the Global Virtual Student Experience to learn about Schneider Electric through self-learning and project simulations.
- Diversity and Inclusion awards from Forbes, Financial Times, Bloomberg, Great Place to Work, Glassdoor, Workhuman, and Universum; partnerships with Gender & Diversity KPI Alliance, ILO Global Business, and Disability Network.
- 45,000 employees registered on Open Talent Market to drive upskilling, career development and mentoring.
- Employee Resource Groups in more than 40 countries helped empower and advance women in leadership locally.
- Build behavior and results-driven culture through New Ways of Working.
- Deliver recruitment experience for Schneider’s workforce of the future.
- Increase gender diversity across hiring (50%), frontline management (40%) and leadership teams (30%).
- Create opportunities for the next generations.
- Build employee career and development plans for 10 years before retirement.
Trust & Resilience
Trust is at the core of what we do and is a signature of our brand. We believe that trust is the foundation of resilience and empowerment. We do not compromise on safety, quality, delivery, cybersecurity, ethics, and compliance.
Our trusted and empowered local teams swiftly defined innovative solutions to deal with unexpected situations:
- Local response teams acted to protect employee, supplier and customer health and safety and mitigate exposure to COVID-19 (personal protective equipment, business travel restrictions, limited site access, and progressive return to work after lockdowns).
- Teams, especially in our supply chain, displayed resilience and flexibility to work remotely and maintain operations.
We upheld commitments to ethics, digital trust, and cybersecurity:
- 98% of employees completed cybersecurity training.
- Schneider Electric’s first Ethics & Compliance Day recognized working environments that promote a speak-up culture.
- Enforcing the highest standards in business ethics and compliance for employees, customers, and partners, notably through our alert system.
- Launch our Ethics and Compliance Risk Assessment as part of the new Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
- Advance our Principles of Responsibility as our Charter of Trust.